ALL RECYCLING AND REFUSE MUST BE PLACED AT THE CURB BEFORE 6:30 A.M. THE DAY OF PICK UP, BUT NOT PRIOR TO SUNSET ON THE DAY PRECEDING COLLECTION.
EMPTY CONTAINERS SHOULD BE REMOVED PROMPTLY AFTER PICK UP.
THERE IS NO BULK PICK UP DURING HOLIDAY WEEKS.
If you have any questions, please call The Department of Public Works at 516-326-6320/6321.
- Household garbage, broken glass, mirrors, china, pizza boxes
- Small wood furniture (e.g. chairs, small cabinets, etc.)
- Wooden storm windows and wooden doors (cut to 4 feet) limit 4 pieces
- Contaminated recyclables
- Any styrofoam
- All light bulbs
Everything must be in an approved container no larger than 35 gallons or bundled not to exceed 60 lbs. each. INFECTIOUS OR MEDICAL WASTE MAY NOT BE PUT OUT FOR COLLECTION
|Blue Box Recyclables Place Blue Box at the Curb before 6:30 a.m. Do Not Use Plastic Bags to Hold Recyclables
|Glass Bottles & Jars
- Rinse food and product from bottles and jars.
- Labels do not have to be removed but the glass MUST be free of food residue.
- Light Bulbs
- Window Glass
- Broken Glass, Dishes, etc.
|Aluminum and Metal Containers
- Rinse food from cans, aluminum foil and pans.
- Aerosol cans
- Heavily-soiled containers
- Paint cans, cooking oil and propane tanks – cannot be dropped off at DPW garage – must call your local S.T.O.P. Program for pick up details.
|Newspapers & Cardboard
Must be tied.
Cardboard must be flattened and tied
Do not use plastic bags to hold newspapers
- Newspapers including shiny inserts
- White paper
- Regular mail
- All other recyclable paper
- Cardboard including cereal boxes with waxed insert bag removed
- Corrugated cartons (must be flat and tied)
- Telephone books
- Paper grocery bags
- Soft & hard covered books
- Shredded paper in a paper bag or corrugated carton
- Shoe boxes
- Plastic-coated paper
- Window envelopes
- Carbon paper
- Adhesive-backed note paper
|Plastic Bottles & Jars
- Rinse food and product from all containers
- Discard any caps
- Crush container where possible
- Plastics marked #1 PET
- Plastics marked #2 HDPE
- Plastics marked #3 PVC
[Bottom of Plastic Container shows the number in a triangle]
- Motor oil plastic cans
- Any styrofoam
- Plastics marked #4, #5, #6 or #7
Please note that landscaping services are required to remove all grass clippings and leaves on their own vehicles.All landscapers/gardeners must possess a permit to operate in Floral Park. NOTE: It is illegal to rake leaves into the street
|In clear plastic bags or in covered garbage containers boldly marked YARD WASTE, place:
- Grass Clippings
- Small Twigs
- Branches – Bundled & tied and not to exceed four feet (4′) in length
- Wood Branches
- Dirt should be composted or used in garden.
- We recommend mower mulching blades.
- Dark brown bags may not be used unless clearly marked.
Must Not Be Placed At Curb Before Sundown Of Previous Day.
Limit 2 pieces of the following:
- Appliances (e.g.. stoves, washers, dryers, humidifiers, etc.)
- Mattresses and box springs
- Bundled wood, no more than 4 foot in length, nails removed or bent
- Any metal item (e.g. hangers, blinds, pots/pans)
- Large bulky furniture (e.g. sofas, recliners, upholstered chairs, convertible furniture, etc.)
- Small automotive parts
- Power equipment with ALL gas removed (e.g. lawn mowers, snow blowers, small engines, etc.)
- Metal doors and windows, cut in half
|9. Hot water heaters
10. Steel cabinets
11. Sheetrock, plaster, concrete, sand etc. in appropriate container or bundled. No more than two 35 gallon containers or bagged rubbish per pickup.
12. Plumbing fixtures (e.g. sinks, toilets, broken-up tubs, pipes (4 foot maximum)
14. Shower doors
15. Rugs and padding (rolled and tied) cut in 4′ lengths. Limit 6 rolls.
16. Fire extinguishers (non-chemical)
Due to EPA regulations regarding Freon, pick up will only be the third Wednesday of the month.
Call the Department of Public Works at 326-6320 to schedule a pick up..
- Air conditioners
- Water coolers
| E-Waste Program
Pick up will be the first Wednesday of the month. Call the Department of Public Works at 326-6320 to schedule a pick up.
NO KITCHEN APPLIANCES, FREON UNITS, WASHERS, DRYERS, BLOW DRYERS, ELECTRIC RAZORS, OR MICROWAVES.
WE CAN ACCEPT ANYTHING THAT PLUGS IN OR REQUIRES A CHARGER. ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT ONLY.
|Acceptable Drop-off Items:
- Computers & Mice
- CRT Monitors
- DVD Players
- Digital Cameras
- Fax Machines
- Floppy Drives
- Games Systems
- Hard Drives
- Holiday Lights
18. LCD Monitors
19. Network Equipment
20. Power Supplies
29. VHS Tapes
30. Wireless Equipment
There is no village pickup of tires. However, Firestone on Jericho Turnpike has agreed to take them for a small charge, or take to the Town of Hempstead on scheduled hazardous waste days.
The Town of Hempstead will collect hazardous waste approximately 10 times per year at selected locations. Please call (516) 378-2200 for information and dates.
- Aerosol cans
- Bug and rodent killers (especially pesticides which have been banned or restricted)
- Car batteries
- Chemistry sets
- Drain cleaners
- Fertilizers with herbicides
- Flammable liquids (fire starter)
- Household batteries (dry cell)
- Latex and oil-based paint
- Oven cleaner
- Paint stripper
- Paint thinner & brush cleaner
- Photography chemicals
- Polishes & wood preservatives
- Smoke alarms
- Spot removers
- Swimming pool chemicals
- Tires (car)
- Waste oil
- Weed killer
- Infectious or medical waste
- Propane tanks
- Radioactive materials
- Unlabeled materials
- “Weed-B-Gone” or Silvex (2,4,5-T)