As the population increased in the Village, the need for a school became apparent. A Board of Education was formed and a four room school house, called the Floral Park School, was built and opened in 1895 on South Tyson Avenue. Upon the death of John Lewis Childs in 1921, the name was changed to the John Lewis Childs School.
In 1929, the Floral Park-Bellerose School opened its doors for students, accommodating the residents in the west end of the Village.
St. Hedwig School, the first parochial school in the Village, was built in 1908 and was followed by Our lady of Victory Parochial School in 1930. Both schools have expanded over the years.