In the late 40’s, the Village saw the need for parking due to the great increase of automobiles and construction of four municipal parking fields was begun to alleviate this problem.
Storm sewers and sanitary sewers were installed between 1954 and 1957 and kept the Village in a disrupted state for three years. Parking meters appeared on major streets in the mid 50’s.
A major change took place in the early 60’s with the New York State widening of Jericho Turnpike. Land and buildings were condemned on the north side of the Turnpike and the project was not completed until late in 1962.