02/06/24 Board Report
Floral Park Library
Here are some upcoming events at our Floral Park Library for February:
- On February 13th, 20th and 27th from 10 AM to 2 PM AARP will be offering assistance to seniors needing assistance with their tax returns.
- On February 27th at 1 PM Nassau County Receiver of Taxes, Jeanine Driscoll will be at the library giving a talk about the process of grieving their home assessment’s and answering other tax related questions.
- On February 11th at 3 PM Niamh and Shu will perform love songs at the library, a perfect way to prepare for Valentine’s Day.
- On February 28th at 1 PM Attorney Kathleen Rose will talk about how to make a will, a trust, and how to prepare other simple legal documents. She will also discuss Medicaid planning.
Currently by the front entrance of the library, the CREW Committee has set up a table with flyers containing information on resources that are available to educate and assist anyone that may be dealing with various life issues. The Committee will also make book recommendations, to be available at the library, on topics that can offer insight when dealing with these issues. Thank you to our CREW Committee and the library for offering these valuable resources to our residents.
A friendly reminder, the Library will be closed on Monday, February 19th for Presidents’ Day.
Here is the run count for our Volunteer Fire Department for the month of January:
- Active Company: 30
- Alert Company: 30
- Reliance Company: 30
- Hook and Ladder Company: 31
- Total Rescue calls for our Rescue Company: 51
The department responded to:
- 82 NYU Langone Ambulance Calls
- 25 Rescue Calls
- 4 Mutual Aid Calls (to assist our neighboring communities)
With our Fire Department responding to the many calls, I would like to remind our residents that when responding they are focused on the emergency at hand. Please use extreme caution when driving in the area, stay clear of the fire apparatus and follow directions given at the scene. This will prevent any of our first responders in getting injured by unsafe drivers.
Last week our community mourned the loss of a lifelong resident of our Village, Richard (Dick) Kosinski. He was not only a lifelong resident but a committed volunteer in our Fire Department for 50 years. He was an Honorary Chief within the Department from the Hook and Ladder Company. Along with his volunteer service in the Fire Department he was very active as a volunteer in our local sports programs. He worked and retired from our Department of Public Works with over 30 years of service. Four generations of the Kosinski family have lived and continue to live in our Village. Dick was a remarkable man, dedicated to his family, to his friends, and was unselfish with his volunteer service to our Village. We send our condolences to the Kosinski family and a special thanks to the Kosinski family. Dick and his wonderful family are part of the lasting fabric that makes and keeps our Village a great place to live and raise a family.
We also mourn the passing of Father Piotr Rozek, Pastor of St. Hedwigs Church and Chaplin to the Floral Park Fire Department. Father Piotr contributed significantly to our Village life, ministered to his parish with his calm caring demeanor and was very supportive to the Floral Park Fire Department. We send our condolence to his family and to the parishioners of St. Hedwigs. May Father Piotr rest in peace and look over us all.
The Fire Department is always seeking volunteers to join the Department. Volunteers receive a tax reduction on their Village, County and School tax. For those who volunteer, it is a rewarding experience knowing that you are assisting your neighbors in a time of need. Please consider volunteering and joining our Fire Department.